Thursday, January 05, 2017

Highlights of 2016

New year...same resolution.  Here's hoping that I can be more consistent in blogging our day-to-day/month-to-month life.

Here's a rundown of the highlights of last year:
January:
After traveling halfway around the world for the holidays, Troy and I weren't quite ready to plant our feet on solid ground.

I headed to San Diego to be with my old roommate, Jonnelle, and celebrate her mom's life.  It was a bittersweet occasion but I'm glad that I was able to go and support her.

The following week, Troy and I headed to Orlando for Brett's wedding.
We hit up Universal Studios Orlando the day before the wedding.  The morning started off with a straight up torrential downpour.  We got suckered into buying $10 ponchos but it paid off because the park wasn't crowded at all.
 
 
We definitely spent our fair share of time at Diagon Alley and it did not disappoint!  We tried all types of butterbeer - regular, frozen, and hot.  I think my favorite was the hot one.  Too bad you can't find it here in CO when it's crazy cold outside.
Brett and Emillie were married Jan. 16 in the Orlando Temple.  It was a beautiful day for a wedding and we're so happy that she's a part of our family.
Troy and I pretending to be secret agents.  It's pretty believable, right?!
February:
After 5 weeks of traveling we were finally ready to settle down.  We did a quick day trip to the mountains and had fun tubing.
 The older 2 liked going down the hill.
 Dylan was happy to be dragged around in the tube.
 But had second thoughts after doing one run.
March:
We celebrated D-man's 2nd birthday.
 
He is so much fun to be around and he loves spending time with everyone in the family.

April:
 
 
My friend, Stacie and I ran a half marathon.  To quote from my FB page "Miserable doesn't even come close to describing today's race. From rain to snow to pelting snow and wind and a ridiculously muddy course we finished."  The race was called Beat the Heat and it lived up to it's name.  Crazy CO weather-you never know what you're going to get.
Snow totals from the storm that we ran in
 May:
This was the start of a crazy few months.  At the beginning of the month I decided to begin the facelift to our laundry room.  What I thought would be a quick, easy 2 weekend project quickly consumed the whole month.  3 weeks without a washer and dryer is way to long!!!
 
Who knew that a washer could provide so much entertainment
We celebrated Connor's 5th birthday!  He is my thoughtful and sweet little boy and definitely knows how to play the middle child card!
Troy and I headed to Ogden, UT to run the half marathon.  Like last year it poured rain.  Even more than last year but thankfully it wasn't quite as cold as it was.  I was able to redeem myself and PR'd-1:58:39 exactly 2 minutes faster than last year.  Troy PR'd as well and even shaved off 9 minutes from his previous best-2:04:33
Memorial Day weekend, Troy and I headed to St. Louis for his co-workers wedding.  Hands down the funnest wedding reception we've been to besides our. :)
By the end of month we had one of these in our backyard.  We loved using it throughout the summer!

 June:

Brooke and Connor finished up their school year.  They both had fantastic teachers.  It's always bittersweet to say goodbye to another school year.

Once school was out, there was no time for relaxation.  The first weekend was filled with a race, 2 piano recitals, and a dance recital.

I got to run one of my favorite races with these lovely ladies.  I had my best 10k time-53:53:60.  Maybe one day I'll be able to break 50...
After the run, I had my semi-annual piano recital.  Then Brooke had hers.  Her piano teacher and I swap kids.  Best decision not because Brooke and I didn't work but because I was a lousy teacher for her.  I wasn't consistent and she has really excelled since she's been with Andrea.
Finally to cap off the day, Brooke had her dance recital.  She did great and she loved getting all dolled up!

The second weekend we headed to CA to celebrate my mom's retirement.
 
 The kids loved spending time with their cousins.
 We hit up Knott's Berry Farm and had a blast.  Brooke rode her first real roller coaster and loved it.
 After 35+ years of teaching I think my mom will be enjoying her retirement!

We stayed in CA for a week and it was so much fun spending time with immediate and extended family.  We had a family gathering, went to Knott's Berry Farm, the beach, and swam in the pool.

It wasn't down time though once we got back.  I volunteered to cater Taylor and Bethaney's wedding which was the last weekend in June.  The week leading up to it was filled with trips to Costco to price check and buy food and to food prep.  That Friday, June 26 we got to celebrate their wedding.
 
On the menu: Chicken Caesar salad, Chinese chicken salad, strawberry poppy spinach salad, fruit skewers, marshmallow pops, and cupcakes.  Not too shabby for my first time feeding a ton of people.
The next day we all (including the newlyweds) piled in our car and headed to Lake Powell for a much needed vacation/honeymoon.

Stay tuned for the back half of 2016...

No comments: