Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Lightning Fast

 It's been a quick week with lots to write about.  We started the week off by celebrating the New Year's Eve with our friends, the Cowans and the Hutchings.  I think it's become a yearly tradition to have a pinata for the kids. 
 Connor loved taking a swing.  I bet by this time next year he won't even need any help at all.
Later in the week I took Brooke and her friend, Lizzie, to the roller rink.  The rink offers a pixie class for kids 2-6 to learn how to roller skate.
 Let's just say that a lot, and I mean, A LOT of tears were shed by both of them.
 Along with the tears, I think Brooke had her tongue hanging out the whole time.
Afterwards, when I asked the girls if they had fun they answered with a very enthusiastic YES!!!!  They even asked when I could take them back.
 We flew to CA for the New Year's Race half marathon. 
 We headed downtown to the expo to pick up our swag bag then home to rest and prepare for the big race.
The race didn't start until 9:15 pm.  Much of the waiting time was spent with us moving around and our hands in our armpits to keep us warm.
I'm glad to say that both Troy and I did great in this race.  Troy came in at 2:13:14 shaving off close to 20 minutes from his previous half.  I came in at 2:07:24 taking off about 9 minutes from my previous time.  Dan also ran the race with us. It was his first and he could have totally blown us out of the water but decided to stay back and push me.  Thanks!!!
I must say that it helps to train at 6200 ft and in a very hilly neighborhood.  Both Troy and I were a little nervous about the hill going up to Dodger Stadium but it was much easier than anticipated.  The weather was nice and it was refreshing to be running at sea level.  By the time we made it home and in bed it was around 2:00 am and it had begun to rain.  So glad that the rain decided to hold out until after the race!

Now it's back to the regular grind.  Preschool and piano lessons start today.  I've even begun to fill out Brooke's kindergarten registration.  Just barely a week into the new year and I feel like we've already accomplished a lot!


1 comment:

Troy said...

I like how Connor seems to be the only one weirded out by the guy in the tux.