Sunday, March 30, 2008

Food, Glorious Food

Seems like that is on my mind most of the time but I really don't think that's too much different than before I was pregnant. Wednesday we had the missionaries over for dinner. It is not often that we get a chance to feed them since we never see the dinner calender in Primary so this was a nice treat. The forecast for Wednesday was in the low 70s so we thought it would be nice to BBQ some hamburgers and have a nice summer-esque dinner. All in all it was a yummy dinner and nice company. Friday we were invited to Robyn and Aaron's for dinner. This was the first time we had been to their place since they've been married and Robyn has done a great job in decorating. Why couldn't she have done that here? :) We had fajitas, spanish rice, and black beans. It was delicious. And to top it off we had tres leches for dessert. Troy made the cake and I poured the milk stuff over it. I was impressed and I think the baby really liked it. Saturday we invited Troy's co-worker and boyfriend to dim sum. Let me tell you...I have been looking forward to this all week long and I told Troy that if she had to cancel then she would have to have a doctor's note. It was a great lunch and our friends were pretty open into trying everything we ordered.

Saturday we also decided to look at cribs and bedding to get an idea of what we (or should I say I) liked. I have to say our options are pretty limited. I decided that I do not want pink bedding. Well, that cuts out pretty much 95% of what's out there. I also don't want anything to crazy flowery. That's another 4.5% so I'm left with .5% to work with. I guess it's all of my own doing but what can I say. We did decide that we liked the color black and espresso and for a pattern for the bedding stripes and circles. We ran into a friend at the store and she said that she would be willing to make the bedding as long as I find a fabric that I like. Hopefully now my options have gotten a lot better.

On a sad note, after looking at our brackets, both Bragg and Ware family, we have come to terms that neither of us will win. I did have a good run on the Ware family bracket for maybe 2.2 seconds and was in the 98th percentile on ESPN. That made me feel good until Louisville lost yesterday. I expressed my frustration with Troy last night saying that it was a conspiracy that N. Carolina was able to play all of their games in N. Carolina...home court!!!!! Troy looked and found out that N. Carolina fans that lived in Chapel Hill would have to travel a whopping 38 minutes to the first two games and then a crazy 2 hours to last night's game. Really. Is that fair?! I don't think so. Well, after wiping away our tears, Troy decided to figure out the number of possible outcomes of the tournament. I thought that was nerdy but today, as I slept in, Troy created a spreadsheet that calculated the winners of all 32 possible scenarios for his family. He has since updated it tonight reflecting the games tonight. We were rooting for Davidson but we do find it cool that this is the first time since the field expanded to 64 teams in 1985 that all the #1 seeds have made it into the final four.
Now, I need some advice from the ladies out there. I have my next doctor's appointment next Monday and it is the dreaded glucose test. The only reason why I know that it's dreaded is that practically everyone I know has said that it's horrible tasting. I guess my question is - is there anyway to make it not so horrible tasting? The doctor recommended that I drink it cold and that would help but is that I can do. Be honest.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had to do that test and I've never even been pregnant. It is the nastiest thing that I have ever put into my body. Okay, maybe not the nastiest, but it is pretty gross. Just down it as fast as possible.

Rachel said...

To be honest,and maybe it is because I like sweets,but I don't think it is THAT bad. It tastes like really sweet soda with an after taste. I do agree that you should down it as fast as possible. I had orange flavor with both girls. It also gives you a nice buzz after about 10 minutes. Good luck!

Kristin said...

Gross! Same as the rest, drink it cold and chug it down. It will make you not want to drink orange soda even again. Although it looks like you have a different flavor. Cola mabye?

Ware Family said...

I didn't think it was that bad. I had orange too, and it just tastes like Orange Crush. The only bad thing is that you have to drink it within 5-8 minutes and that is hard with such a fizzy drink. That I think is what makes people get so sick, not to mention it's just sugar sugar sugar.
Just keep it down whatever you do or they'll make you do it again!
What flavor it yours? It's looking purple to me in the picture.
If you think you may be sick, I'd recommend going to the dr.'s office early and drinking it there. You don't want to be driving when really sick.
Good luck.

Bacchus Family said...

It is not that bad. I drank it cold and fast. I'd take a big drink. Wait for a minute (breathe) and then drink it again. Getting all mushy, when I look at Charles, I would drink five of those if I had to. But not more than five. Good luck!

Kenz said...

After barfing the orange drink all over my brother's car with Channing, I decided to think white and get serious. So, I did what any respectable pregnant woman would do- I cheated with Samara. I know, I know. I only drank as much of it as I could handle and then chugged the rest down the drain. I felt much better, passed with flying colors, and life has been better ever since. My doctor told me that if you have gest. diabetes, you will fail the test no matter what.

Moral of the story: Its ok to cheat.

ashley g. said...

Sorry to be a downer, but yours looks really gross. Drink it as fast as possible and don't throw it up I guess. Ooo- do it when you have an audience and have them chant "chug... chug... chug..." while you down the grossness.

p.s. I didn't think mine was all that bad. Good luck!

Elise and Lane said...

I didn't think it was all that bad! And I actually had to do it twice, so make sure they draw your blood at EXACTLY the right time. They accidentally made me wait to long in the waiting room, so I had to re-do it. Just chug!

Natalie said...

I actually bought some red sheets and then made my crib skirt and a valence for the window because I knew what I wanted. It's not too difficult!

Kindt Family said...

The one I was offered was just like a strong orange drink. It was ice cold , I was thirsty, so I just took it down. Maybe you won't be offered the same easy option, though- is that picture the thing you have to drink? I'd call your lab and demand they give you the orange stuff. That looks like molasses. What is this, Fear Factor? Either way, just make sure it's cold and that you're actually thirsty, plug your nose and chug away.

Kindt Family said...

As for the crib bedding, if your friend sewing it doesn't work out, check out Amazon.com. You can do a search & then narrow it down by pattern and color within the sidebar. There were thousands of results! And high priced items like that offer free shipping pretty often. It's a nice resource.

Erin said...

UNC is just good, they don't need home court advantage. Also, we could throw a rock from our apartment to the Dean Dome (where they play) but we still can't go, it's hard to get tickets. I agree with everyone else about the orange nastiness, drink it cold and fast.

Tracy Giles said...

I didn't think it was that bad. It tasted like a funny orange drink/soda with an after taste. I just did it super fast and tried to forget all about it. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Andersons said...

Sorry, sweetie. It's a right of passage. :-)