Monday, January 26, 2009

Gung Hay Fat Chow

Happy Chinese New Year everyone!!!! My mom would be proud. I hosted a Chinese New Year dinner last night and we had some of our friends from church come over. I made egg drop soup (I know, so authentic), chow mein, potstickers, and almond jello. I do have to say everything was muy delicioso. Troy helped wrap the potstickers and he even crimped the edges. I never do but since we were having guests over, I didn't want to be outdone by my white husband. Thanks Troy!!!!! The other highlight of the week was car hunting. Troy had Monday off from work so we went out to lunch to celebrate his passing his exam. We even had Brooke sit in a highchair. I think she liked not being stuck in a carseat. Like Troy mentioned in the post before, we checked out and test drove the Honda Pilot. Saturday, we went to the GMC/Chevy dealership and test drove the Acadia and Traverse. I'm still a big fan of the Honda Pilot and I think we're leaning more towards that way. Stay tuned. Hopefully in the next few weeks we'll have some pictures.
Making silly faces with Daddy
Just hanging out
I forgot to mention the fabulous weather we had last week. Monday, we were in the 60s. It was windy so it made it slightly chilly but Tuesday and Wednesday were absolutely gorgeous. I believe we broke the record high Wednesday with 71. I wore capris and Brooke was able to wear one of her spring dresses. It was a great couple days but a cruel teaser to spring since it's still January. Currently we are sitting at a whopping 14 degrees. I am so ready for sunshine so we can go on walks. Yesterday we woke up to frost on all the plants and trees. It stayed cold enough all day for it to last. It was pretty to look at but I wish the sun had decided to show it's face.
Brooke loves the beanie uncle Brett made her.
As for Brooke, she hit her 6 month mark on Saturday. Can you believe it?!?!?!?! She's 6 months. She has her Dr. appt tomorrow so I'll post her stats then but to give you a tidbit of what she's doing now, here's a video of her playing peek-a-boo with Troy.

13 comments:

Jenna said...

How fun! I remember making that for several years with you and your mom. It is quite a talent to get the pot sticker just right..way to go Troy!

Rachel said...

Happy New Year! Did you give Brooke lucky money? I am excited for you to get a new car. Maybe you'll have it by the time we come to visit! We are excited to see you!

Anonymous said...

You guys are lucky we haven't gotten over 35 degrees for like 2 weeks and we have about 4-5 inches of snow and it's still coming down.

Troy said...

Great post, love the beanie shot!

Anonymous said...

My daughter has ut done me. I have not made home made pot stickers for my family for awhile. I guess it's about time I do it again. Great jobs. Gung Hay Fat Choy!

Kristin said...

Ok you next mission Tracie is to take some pick with Brooke.

daveandbri said...

Trenton came home from school with a red envelope with 2 pennies for his lucky money . . .I seem to recall you getting a little more than that. Anyway, your hosting a party for the new year was another check on the why we should live in Colorado list . . assuming we would be lucky enough to get invited. Just reading about the cuisine was making my mouth water. Also I like the very chinese description of the food "muy delicioso". Very appropriate.

Mickie and Matt said...

Wow Tracie I must say that was a good quality post! Lots of short and sweet details, good pictures of the family(aka Syrup), numerous topics invovled, even a video at the end. What a Bonus! The blogging world applauds you... well at least I do :)

ashley g. said...

Steve and I were just talking about the awesome food you made us a few years ago for Chinese New Year. Looks like we missed out majorly this year!

And your weather- at least those 60 degree days in January make those 14 degree days tolerable. We miss that wild weather!

Will said...

I second the 9 comments preceding mine . . . especially the one about needing a mother/daughter pic!

Kirstin said...

We love our Pilot...just incase you needed an extra opinion! And I'm positively drooling over all the yummy food!

Erin said...

I'm jealous about your dinner party, I know how good that food is! Somewhat speaking of, I saw a commercial the other day where someone said (phonetically spelled)"Lema-gow-chwa" and I remembered all the lessons you gave me trying to teach me how to say it correctly. I never really got it, but that's my one bit of Chinese I know :)

Shane said...

My vote is the Pilot. We test drove that before getting the Explorer and sometimes wish we had gone with the Pilot. By the way, the comment about not wanting to be out done by your white husband... as opposed to your black one? Is the secret out now????