Monday, February 22, 2010

Cheese!!!

Brooke's favorite word these days is "cheese". Anytime she can get her little fingers on the camera she'll say cheese and want you to take a picture of her. Hence, the little photo shoot of her we had last week.
I'm still getting over this flu/cold bug and it is no fun. I've officially had no voice for the last 2 days and I haven't run since last Thursday. Yikes!!!! I'm less than 4 weeks away from the half marathon. Hopefully I'll be able to kick myself into gear this week and get a good long run in on Saturday. I think I'll be fine when race day comes and I'll be surrounded by a bunch of runners but I can truly say that I'm a little spent on running. I can't wait to do other forms of exercising.
Saturday, Troy took me out for our Valentine's Day date. Saturday was the start of Denver Restaurant Week so we decided to test out Baur's. The dinner was okay, I preferred the company. Afterwards we went to see Brian Regan. He is a pretty funny comedian. The only downside was that it hurt to life so I was quiet for most of it but it was a lot of fun. Thank Troy for a fun night. Sorry I couldn't be better company for you. :)

Lastly, Brooke and I have been starting to try to do this:
Can't really say that I have seen any progress although she did pee a little this morning for me. I have no idea what I'm doing nor have I read any books on how to do this so if anyone has any tips, they would be greatly appreciated.

12 comments:

Kindt Family said...

She is so so beautiful! It's so fun to see what you guys are up to & see your growing family!

Will said...

Here's my advice. Don't take the pants all the way off unless you have to. It'll save the effort later on when they always want to take them all the way off to go . . . call me if you don't get it.

Beth Fries said...

She is so cute! I love reading your blog- it gives me a good idea of what I have coming. My Aunt and Uncle used the "Potty Train Your Child in Just One Day" book for all 4 of their boys, and it worked like a charm. I plan to use it when we get there- looks like about a year from now.

Kay said...

Ahhh...the joys of parenting a toddler. It's probably most parents first big huddle with their kids. I wish I had great advise, I had differing experiences with each one. But the one thing I kept telling Kristin when she thought Jason would never be potty trained, "I promise by the time he goes to school he'll be there." Some kids are ready when they are 20 months other take until they are four. I find that when the child is younger, you are not only training them but training your self, because you have to remind them all the time. If you are not willing to remind them constantly, than wait. I love the reward system, with M&M's or marshmallows. They were always in a little bowl in the bathroom as a reminder of success. I tried to be very consistent, every hour or so for the first few days. Yep, we didn't leave the house for a while. Well, this is too long already...good luck!

Kristin said...

Wow good luck. I am not even going to touch Sierra until I start feeling more like myself. Hopefully in 2 months or so.

Natalie said...

I have a potty train in 3 days ebook that I used with Wes. I can email it to you if you want.

I think a big thing in keeping me motivated to run is racing. It'll be interesting to see how you feel after you run your race. I totally get what you mean though. It was really nice to *have* to cross-train just for the variety!

Kenz said...

Wow, good luck potty training. I don't have any tips that could help you right now because I'm a late trainer. I have waited with both the kids and it has been much easier FOR ME. Ive waited until they can be responsible for it themselves- get themselves dressed and undressed, get on the real toilet themselves, etc. It has made it much easier for me, that's not to say they weren't ready earlier. It just seems like early trainers take a year to train, so why not wait a year and have it take a week? That's been my experience at least. If its important to you to do it early, do it! I'm sure it can be done. She sure looks cute on the potty!

Ware Family said...

My girls started potty training at almost the same age, and honestly the first 3 weeks was HARD, though it was probably harder since there were two of them.
If you get her a little potty and you feel like you're ready to buckle down and be really consistent, and Brooke knows when she feels the pee coming, she could do really well.
My one piece of advice? No pull ups! They are diapers in my book, and I've never used them with my kids. I really think it slows down the potty training process. Kids learn quickly they can pee in them and there is no consequence. It makes it kinda messy, but I honestly think especially with the girls, it was the fastest way to train. They hated anything running down their legs and they learned really quick to get on the potty and go.
If she is ready and YOU are ready (because at first, it's a lot of work for mom), then I say go for it.
Just as a reference, Jackson was 2 1/2 and took a week to train. Kate and Ellie were 22 months and took about six weeks, but then again, it was pretty hard with two of them.
I'm really glad I got it done early with the girls, it makes life HEAVENLY now.

The Allens said...

She is sure a cutie! And getting so big! Good luck with the potty training. We still aren't there with Jace. Hopefully we can get it done before kindergarten with that kid.

Erin said...

She's such a cutie. We read a book called "Potty Train your child in just One Day" and it worked for Grant. It's an all day potty party where Brooke teaches one of her dolls use the potty and then she learns herself. Grant figured it out by the afternoon and we haven't had many accidents since then. Good luck!

ashley g. said...

The flu bites. But- you're running will recover in plenty of time! Definitely give yourself a week before you push yourself, but you'll be surprised.

As for Brian Regan- we get to see him next week! We are totally excited. Glad it was a fun show.

And potty training. Blessed potty-training. If Brooke seems resistant, wait. Kalli resisted it FOREVER. So I decided to wait until she was begging to use the potty and the whole process took about 2 days. Waiting is not a crime. Good luck though because every kid is different. Just remember that she won't be in diapers when she's 5. ;)

Tandi Davis said...

Oooh, that little Brooke is so darn cute!! Good luck on the potty training. It took Halli a while to get it down and she had just turned 3 when she finally got it. But I do know many people that have done it and been successful much sooner. I would, however recommend just what you're doing, and that is to go right to the big toilet with the little seat on it. Little potties are gross and it's one more thing to clean up! Why not just train them from the get go on the one they'll be using for life??!!
Anywho, good luck on your half marathon!! Can't wait to hear how it goes. I'm so proud of you for training during the winter; I've been so lazy lately with my running because it's freezing! Keep us posted!!