Monday, October 15, 2012

We Be Tough Mudders

After having a week to recuperate I'm finally ready to blog about our great adventure.  We left last Thursday for Austin and stayed with my old college roommate, Briana, and her family.  Friday the boys and girls separated.  Troy and Dave played a round of golf while us girls took a step class in the morning and hung out the rest of the day.  Later that evening we met the rest of the team.  Saturday was the big day.  Up at 5:30 and out the door by 6:30.
One thing I noticed about Austin is that it's really really flat and green and humid.  Luckily for us Saturday was a perfect day for the race.  I think it was somewhere in the mid to low 70s, overcast, and low humidity.

All marked up and ready to rock n' roll
This was during the pep talk to get us motivated.  I think this may have been one of the painful parts of the challenge-squatting for an extended period of time.  I think half way through my legs were asleep.
After the first obstacle, Kiss the Mud.  Notice tha our shirts are still looking white with a bit of mud.
Headed into the Artic Enema; a dumpster full of water that has had ice dumped in it.  The water was cold but not as cold as we anticipated.  I think the ice had melted by the time we got there.
Notice that after the Artic Enema our shirts are no longer white.  For the remainder of the race they stayed that ugly light brown color.  At least it was fairly easy to spot.
The 3rd obstacle was the Cliffhanger.  Basically a steep hill that's been muddied.  Because it took so long for people to get up this hill ropes were thrown down to help.  It helped for the first few people that grabbed a hold but after that it, too, was very slippery.
Eventually we made it up the hill and were even muddier.
The Cliffhanger was quickly followed by Walk the Plank, 15 ft. jump off into water. 
This was the first obstacle that my heart skipped a beat.  I just knew that I had to quickly jump off or else it would turn into a 45 minute ordeal like my bungee jumping.
There were a 7 more obstacles before we reached the one above, the Electric Eel.  Let me tell you...NOT PLEASANT.  Some of the hanging wires carried 10,000 volts.  I have no idea if I was zapped with one of those but getting zapped, period, stinks.  At first I didn't realize what was going on as I crawled my way through but after it was happening very often I finally figure it out.  Strategy for next time-push off the wall so you can go through it faster.
The Just the Tip was one of the surprise obstacles and I was very excited to see it.  It wasn't too difficult to shimmy across even though the foot holds were a caked with mud.
Next up was our favorite obstacle, the Mud Mile.  There were probably 6 of these big holes filled with mud that we had to cross.  One of the pits had a "drier" mud that made it even more difficult.  I got both of my feet stuck and had to be yanked out.
  Having done the Warrior Dash in the summer this was by far and away much muddier.
Dave lost his shoes and ended up carrying until the end of the obstacle and plenty of us got stuck.
This was the Hold Your Wood obstacle.  Of course Bri had to pick the heaviest and stinkiest log for the girls to carry.  Luckily we had some help.
It seemed that after an extremely muddy obstacle there would always be a body of water that we would have to swim through.  Good thing for these...we were able to wash off a bit and maybe relieve ourselves.  Porta potties were few and far between.  TMI...maybe.
The last obstacle was running through hundreds of hanging live wires.  I didn't have enough time to psych myself out which is probably a good thing. 
I don't recall being zinged like in the Electric Eel and I also didn't find myself faceplanted in the mud so I think I made it through unscathed. 
After 28 obstacles, 12 miles trucking through however much mud and water we finished the challenge!  The Tough Mudder was unbelievably fun.  I would do it again in a heartbeat and I think Troy would too.  Besides a lot of bruises and some scrapes we've recovered quite nicely.  Now onto our next goal...

3 comments:

Mickie and Matt said...

How did you get all these awesome pictures! They are perfect, i'll have to show Matt he wants to do a tough mudder. If you guys do it again let me know and i'll convince Matt to do it with you. The tough mudder doesn't seem like my kind of thing... all though your NEXT goal looks like my kind of thing. Wish we could join you guy on that one!

Elise and Lane said...

Ya'll are crazy. Haven't you ever heard of the gym for a workout ;) just kidding- looks like a blast!!

Will said...

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that other people realize that the obstacles and mud make these easier and not really harder. You get to take breaks and go at slower pace instead of just pounding the pavement with running. Good Job Trace.