Friday, April 04, 2014

Introducing...

Dylan Kent Ware
Born 3/20/2014 at 5:25 pm
Weight: 8 lbs. 6 oz.
Length: 21 inches
Head: 15 inches
Let's back up to 2 weeks ago.  Tuesday, March 18, I started having contractions in the morning. I even remember exactly when...8:45 am.  Connor had just had his very first accident in bed and I was rushing to get him washed and Brooke off to school.  From that moment on the contractions never stopped.  They weren't painful so I wasn't too concerned.  Troy called me later that morning about something and asked how I was doing.  I mentioned that I had been having contractions all morning and that I wasn't concerned about them but Troy said that he would feel better if he was home working and ignoring me instead of an hour away not working and worrying about me.  The rest of Tuesday proceeded on.  We made a quick trip to the Dr. just to check how things were going and to have some sort of peace of mind.  I hadn't changed from my previous Dr. appt.  That was kind of disappointing but I wasn't ready to have our little guy yet.  Wednesday morning, I woke up around 3:30 and I couldn't go back to sleep.  The contractions were still regular and they were just starting to get crampy.  I decided that I was going to walk the baby out.  We walked at Target, walked to the small park, walked 2 miles on the treadmill at 6-8% incline, then walked at Costco.  Nothing!!!  In fact, by day's end, it felt that my contractions were getting farther apart and not quite as intense.  We went to bed feeling like maybe, hopefully, Thursday would be the day.  I woke up that morning at 1:30 and couldn't fall back to sleep.  Around  5:30 I started timing them.  I had talked to a nurse the previous day and she said that my contractions would need to be 5 minutes a part, lasting 1 minute each, for over an hour.  My contractions were 3-6 minutes apart.  I have no idea how long they lasted but I did know that they were getting more and more uncomfortable.  I had a Dr. appt. later that morning at 10:30 so we headed there after dropping off Connor.  By the time we made it to the office my contractions were definitely getting more and more uncomfortable. We met with Dr. Oster and she announced that today would be the day.  Yay!!!!  Finally!!!!  She had a nurse walk us over to the hospital and we were admitted around 11:30.
Dr. Oster came and broke my water around 1ish and I got the epidural shortly after.  I think I managed a quick cat nap before it was time to push.  5:00 rolled around and it was go time.  I pushed through 3 contractions (3 pushes during each) and out he came at 5:25.  He was perfect!!!!  First thing out of Dr. Oster's mouth was how big Dylan was.  8 lbs. 6 oz!  Who knew?!  She didn't think he would be that big.  I didn't think he would be that big.  They even have an acronym for babies that big...L.G.A-Large for Gestational Age.  I really don't think he's that "large".  Reminds me of The Princess Bride and the R.O.U.S.s Thankfully my body cooperated with the delivery.  Recovery has been great and possibly the best out of the 3.
Brooke and Connor came to visit us the following morning.  Brooke's reaction was better than when she came to meet Connor. 
She is thrilled to be the BIG sister to 2 little brothers.  She's already mentioned that she's the queen of the house.  I don't know what that makes me but I'll let her think that..for now.  :) 
Connor, on the other hand, was more interested on what I had to eat in the room.  He zeroed in on a box of cereal and didn't even acknowledge that he was a big brother. 
After finishing off the cereal, he decided to come over and say hi.  Aren't they sweet!
We found out Saturday that we would need to stay another night.  Dylan was jaundiced and spent the rest of Saturday and all of Sunday hanging out under the lights.  He was not a fan.  You would think the lights offered some heat but not really and he HATED the little goggles.  Poor guy was a champ though.  Even through the heel sticks.
We got to be discharged late Sunday afternoon.  I would like to say we came home to a happy, healthy home but boy was I wrong.  Troy had woken up Sunday morning puking his guts out.  We came home Sunday evening to Brooke puking her guts out.  Troy's dad left to go back to SLC and puked his guts out at his home.  It was great fun.  Add to that my major sleep deprivation and we were all pretty miserable.  Thankfully that lasted only half the week.  If it weren't for Troy's mom being here, I don't know how we would have functioned.

Now 2 weeks in, I think we're all doing great. Brooke and Connor have been doing really well.  I think they've enjoyed their freedom a little too much.  I'm looking forward to Brooke going back to school next week.  It's funny...coming home and watching Brooke and Connor interact it seems like they grew up over night.  Brooke is a great big sister.  She loves to help and get the pacifier whenever Dylan is crying.  Connor likes to hang around me when I'm feeding Dylan.  In fact, both of them are pretty intrigued by the whole feeding process.  It's a lot of fun...
Dylan is such a sweet baby.  He's a lot like Connor and seems to be pretty chill.  One thing different is that he's much more alert than Connor was.  Connor slept for the first 6 weeks of his life.  Dylan has wake periods a couple times during the day.  One day I'll catch a good picture of him with his eyes open.  Can't believe we're a family of 5!

2 comments:

Elise and Lane said...

He is a doll! Way to go Tracie! Family of 5!!!

Thom and Jamie Stansfield said...

It's crazy when you get to the point where your family is larger in numbers than the one you grew up in! Congrats! He's adorable! That's how big RJ was too!