Friday, August 22, 2008

Withdrawal!!!!


So, I made it through the week without my mom but I'm going through severe withdrawal. Okay, maybe not severe but I do realize how nice it was to have an extra set of hands. I did have my first breakdown last night feeling overwhelmed juggling mommyhood, Troy's new calling, and being sick with a cold (who gets a cold in the summer?!?!?!?). So these past couple of days I've been thinking how I need to have Brooke be able to put herself to sleep. She's really great once I put her down but she just can't make herself fall asleep. Well, I tried to start this yesterday and it did not go well. By the end of the day you could tell that both Brooke and I were exhausted. On top of that Troy was only home for about 30 minutes before he had to leave for a church meeting. It was a rough night. Thanks Rachel for lending an ear!!!!!! Luckily Troy was able to work from home today to give me some rest and hopefully recover from this cold quickly. I decided that we'll try to conquer this hurdle of Brooke being to fall asleep by herself in a couple weeks when Troy takes paternity leave. Wish us luck, I have a feeling we're going to need it.

Brooke is now 4 weeks old. Can you believe it? I can't. Time has really flown by. We have her 1 month old check up next week and I'm excited to see how much she's grown. It's funny, I haven't really noticed her growing until this last week and all of sudden she's not so tiny anymore.

13 comments:

Kristin said...

Funny thing. I got a cold while I was in oregon. That is what I said, who gets colds in the summer. Crazy.

Good luck with the sleeping. It won't take more then a few days if you are strong.

Elise and Lane said...

I soooo remember those days! If you ever feel like you need advice just let me know!! Lane and I literally took shifts and held our little girl day and night, and then just during day naps, and now she puts herself to sleep, and sleeps 12 glorious hours, plus 3 day naps! And I love Brooke's blanket- is it made or bought (and where from)

Gretchen J'Deene said...

I understand completely! A book that really helped me was the Baby Whisperer. It has a lot of great advice.

Kenz said...

Brooke better be doing exactly what she's doing to Troy in that picture to me next weekend....

mmm hmmm..

Rachel said...

I have been sick twice this summer! I don't know what the heck is going on. I'm glad Troy was able to be with you on Friday. It's nice when your hubby can stay home once in awhile. "If you need me, call me, no matter where you are, no matter how far..." :)

Jyll said...

I hear ya! You'll get there and do whatever feels right to you. With Aidan, I tried to be the perfect mom...according to what I read and it just stressed me out. With Kellen and now with Curren I refer to the books to remember something, but I do what I feel is best for me, the baby and my family. Feel free to call any time. We can share war stories.

Evan and Rebecca Jones said...

Bless your heart! This beginning is SO crazy trying to adjust and everything - especially with Troy's new calling. All I can say is you can SO do it! :)

Ps - I'm a FIRM believer in kids being able to put themselves to sleep and it is SOOOO hard but SOOO worth it! You can do that too! :)

Lilianne said...

Oh man. I feel your pain, Tracie! I've been trying to get Lois to go to sleep by herself for about a month now. Strange that books say it's okay to let your baby cry for 20 minutes to put themselves to sleep. What if your baby never stops crying?!? My limit was one hour of straight crying before I broke down and got her. I was crying too. I'm pretty sure if she hasn't fallen asleep in an hour of blood curdling screaming she was not going to do it! Sigh...

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

I hope you feel better and I'm so glad that Troy is going to be home for a little bit. I don't know how single moms do this alone. It makes me appreciate my mom so much more. How about you?

Hang in there!!

Kindt Family said...

Looks like things are going well for you new little family! I know how badly you want your baby to just sleep, but she's still sooo little, it'll probably be a long time. You can just do little pieces of advice gradually to help her sleep better. She's still too little to start the "crying it out" strategy, according to all the literature I've got. Maybe try a fan in the room, or a sound machine (heart beating, water rushing)? Good luck!

Anonymous said...

sooner or later most babies sleep by themselves. I think a month old is still too soon. You and Troy are doing good job. I am only a phone call away.

Brad and Kelli said...

I totally know how you feel! I've done everything to get my boys to sleep. I've heard good things about Baby Whisperer like Gretchen's post said. I am a huge fan of swaddling and the steps in "The Happiest Baby on the Block". I looked like a total nerd bouncing, shushing, and going up and down on my tip toes with Josh- but it got him down. Radio static seemed to be good white noise for him too. The good news- they sleep like champs now. She'll get it- I promise! Let me know if you need to chat!

Brad and Kelli said...

I totally know how you feel! I've done everything to get my boys to sleep. I've heard good things about Baby Whisperer like Gretchen's post said. I am a huge fan of swaddling and the steps in "The Happiest Baby on the Block". I looked like a total nerd bouncing, shushing, and going up and down on my tip toes with Josh- but it got him down. Radio static seemed to be good white noise for him too. The good news- they sleep like champs now. She'll get it- I promise! Let me know if you need to chat!

:) said...

I am right there with you Tracy. But hang in there. Just in the last few days I have been able to put Luke in his bed after a feeding and he will eventually fall asleep by himself (as long as he has his binky of course). I was shocked the first time he did it. He is 6 weeks old now. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it is awesome!